Thread: Red Hill Dari
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 02:42 PM   #13
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default A little history of RH Dari

If memory serves me correctly, the "Maid" was owned/operated by one Paul Champaign (or Champlain) and his wife (late 60's/70s), Dick Tower also owned it (in addition to Longwood Farms - currently Canoe - and the Woodshed). Not sure of exact order (Paul first or Dick first). Other readers may recall. My brother worked at both Longwood Farms and the Woodshed (as bartender) in his day, and spent one winter (year between college and graduate school) renting a room at Martha Oliver's house on Sheridan Road. Needless to say, Martha was an amazing cook/baker, and my brother gained a few pounds that year. I recall reading on this forum that SAMIAM still uses some of Martha's dessert recipes.

Old friends and next door neighbors at the lake (John and Mary Jane Ives), whom we also knew from Connecticut, actually LIVED in the "Maid" several winters, and I remember visiting them with my husband in the dead of winter in probably 1973, and having drinks with them at the "Maid".

I worked at the Old Country Store for many summers (working my way up from penny candy to the cheese counter and finally the clothing floor). Dick Tower also ran the little Coffee Shop at Old Country Store (no longer there; the former space is now packed with merchandise) Never worked at the "Maid" (Red Hill Dari), but did work one summer at Ken Smith's "Country Fare Inn." I was not a very good waitress. Sweet memories of working at lake during the summers in high school and college. Forgive my ramblings!
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redwing For This Useful Post: