View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 04:07 PM   #6
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Unhappy Yup, You're Not Alone

Our Cairn Terrier started having trouble a couple of months ago. The vet did a bunch of tests and Mac was put on the eye drops along with oral antibiotics. $192 later... ouch! His eyes did clear up, but a few weeks ago it started again. They suggested giving him one Benadryl tablet a couple times a day and washing and using eye drops. He doesn't mind too much because he gets Charlie Bear training treats before, during and after this process. (Trader Joe's carries them.) I picked up sensitive eye saline solution, which I thoroughly soak a cosmetic pad and leave on his eye until the crusty stuff softens up. Don't rub. Once the eye is cleaned I put in a drop or two of Thera Tears. His eyes are so much better, but you have to keep up with crusty cleaning or your dog will try to remove it himself. That can result in scratched cornea and raw looking wounds and costly vet bills.

The Benadryl, it works pretty well if you can get him to take it. It took me a couple days to realize Mac was taking the pill in the food, but sometimes was able to spit it out. The best way I have found to give him the allergy medicine is in cooled oatmeal, which is pretty much like pudding. He swallows the spoonful without chewing.

Good luck!

RG
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote