View Single Post
Old 12-26-2021, 08:06 PM   #87
Winilyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
Just saw this thread... I've had worsening tinnitus for at least 20 years now. Mine sounds like a large air handler (with a slightly squeaky belt). It's quite realistic.

I have tried a variety of "cures" and made a few tests, like cut out coffee (nope) , lose weight (helped other things, but not tinnitus), turmeric (nothing), some other patent medicines.

As it grows louder over time, I worry that it's only a matter of time until the neighbors start to complain.

I've learned to ignore it (until reading this thread) so I sleep well. I do not advise "white noise". I've had a lot of experience with it (all bad) and it simply gives the brain additional input to process. [Anyone who has experienced "white noise" at work can testify to the relief felt when the system shuts off.]

If you can't condition yourself to ignore your tinnitus, try consulting a professional hypnotist (seriously). A slight suggestion to ignore it may well be all you need to at least live comfortably with the condition.

One 'comforting thought': I've been told that should I ever go completely deaf, I'll still be able to hear the air handler with the squeaky belt.
This is when I love this forum the most. Good advice delivered with good humor and a caring attitude. Thank you Crusty.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote