View Single Post
Old 08-03-2021, 07:48 AM   #47
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Ok so it's 5:30 in the morning and I'm hearing this very loud white noise whistle running through my head/brain right now. I had not looked at this thread on tinnitus for months but just read my first post again from December. And, there's another thread way down the bottom of the table of contents labelled "What happened to FLL?" ...... all about my tinnitus tragedy.

Back in May when I went to the ENT-Otolaryngology Dept at the Concord Hospital in Laconia I was very very concerned that what I was hearing was dementia. If something walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, then it's a duck. Well ...... not actually knowing how dementia works but having this loud white hiss noise happening, I was seriously concerned that it was dementing or dementia-ing my brain as it was a new and very disturbing to have it happening. Well ...... that was a few months ago ..... and I am stiil here with the ability to write and think pretty clearly .... and have been told the best thing is to just try to ignore the white hissing noise and think about something else. That is really difficult to do when you are just wanting to go back to sleep, so here I am, writing about it?

Something about walking or swimming makes it go away, so that's what I do, I walk-swim it away and have lost a little weight what with all this exercise and the depression also make eating food less of a wanted habit to be doing.

For now with my 8-month history with tinnitus, I suppose I am getting more used to it and have less anxiety and less being scared. I was at first having huge anxiety and being very scared. It is debilitating and makes you much less competent as a functioning person which is a big, big problem so coexisting with the tinnitus is not so easy ...... which is why I take all these long walks ..... to escape the tinnitus.

I suppose I am rambling here with this written post ...... and am just commenting as I think about it and have the white hissing noise happening. It is very much a personal health disaster, happening to me. Possibly the anti-depressant, the Nortriptyline 10mg helps me to be so calm while experiencing the white noise hiss. Is time to get up and go take a long walk down that Mad River trail, about 2-miles around Waterville Valley and walk it out and away. And, the outdoor temp here is a cool 44-degrees ...... honest ...... 44-degrees on August 3 at 6:15-am here at altitude 1800' ...... that's a little cold, you know for August 3.
Well i think this post is very telling. You may want to re-read it again in the future to see your progress.

Some observations:

First, it appears that you are new to tinnitus, unlike many of us who have had this for a very long time and it started when we were much younger. I think like any problem, if it begins when you younger you often adapt with less concern and resistance and learn to accept the change all a bit easier (for many) So I'm not at all surprised its more concerning to you having this just turn on and later in life.

Second, as you said you are getting used to it, in time I hope like most of us sufferers you will learn to mostly ignore it. Maybe not 100%, but it becomes less bothersome for many with time.

Third, if it does not become less concerning and bothersome, and depression becomes worse, then like some ailments such as arthritis or diabetes you should seek support and help. There may be significant relief just consulting with professionals and getting a better understanding about what you are dealing with, as well as the possibility of some new medical treatment as they do come along all the time.

Forth, and maybe most important, dont suffer in silence, if nothing else, venting and hearing about others experiences helps.

Anyone who said life was easy forgot about the other half of us who didnt get the free pass. For us, life is constantly throwing you curveballs and testing our limits. So it becomes a battle of will, the stubborn will survive, but you have to fight for it, as we didnt get life handed on silver platter.

I often joke about reincarnation, that I am not coming back unless I can remember all the mistakes I made in this life so I have half a chance of avoiding them next time, I insist on being better looking, smarter, being born a bit less poor, and if that doesnt work, maybe I could come back as some wealthy persons pampered dog!

But seriously, I hope you are on the path to a better place with this, and it sounds like through exercise you have found a way to take your focus off it. Hopefully in time you will find other means of distraction and relief, possibly listening to soothing music, rowing a boat across the water listening to the water slap the hull, etc.

ATB
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote