View Single Post
Old 12-09-2020, 09:48 AM   #25
ApS

Exclamation It's That Free Coffee! But Live with It...

I heard random high-pitched beeps at age 11. I was sure that Jupiter (not Mars) was trying to contact me! About age 17, it turned to "real" tinnitus, and became especially annoying when at a silent and frozen Lake Winnipesaukee at Christmas, before snowmobiles were a "thing".

No reason could be ascribed to having developed it, nor any relief proffered. After 60 years, it's still annoying, but only when I think of it.

Like now!

It hasn't interfered with "birding by ear", and generally, my hearing is still very good. Attention, however, does affect the first few words of a conversation.

Several hearing tests produced many high-pitched beeps, but none have landed on the exact high frequency I am constantly "hearing".

Another ear problem I have is attributed to "tensor tympani". Its a "rushing" sound in both ears that surfaces when watching someone getting hurt! It's sort of an aural version of an empathy signal, like Deanna Troi suffers at Star Trek--TNG.

Adding recently to that, is Anisometropia in eyesight, which is far more annoying than tinnitus!

Lately, tinnitus gets much more intense after the evening meal. The doctor says it's caffeine, but I'm not giving up coffee!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote