View Single Post
Old 10-21-2015, 03:32 AM   #38
ApS

Smile A Changing Lake Demands "A Cairn for Science"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shore things View Post
"...Please understand that I'm not trying to be critical of any one or any group. These are not bad or corrupt people involved in these situations. This is just such a common issue that arises in what we do here in the office and I find this logic and rationalization to be intriguing and would throw it out there if anyone wishes to comment..."
Like many of my neighbors, we move our shoreline rocks every year to restore the shoreline.

One neighbor, whose boat has been docked at the same dock since 1960, moved his boat to the very end of his dock: that proved to be insufficient against boat wakes, so he (reasonably) removed those rocks that struck his boat's hull.

This Spring, I cautioned that same neighbor that he was going to lose seven leaning trees of mixed hardwood species from his shoreline—and now was the time to cut them for firewood.

I didn't say that he'd lose them one tree at a time.

Another neighbor is trying to restore a small sandy area you could call a "submerged beach". He moves the large gravel from neighbors' driveways that washes down with every thunderstorm. That driveway was poorly redesigned when the new "spec-built-and-oversized" McMansion was built. Three antagonistic property owners share that driveway so it doesn't get fixed.

​​​•​ ​​This past summer, as a "preliminary test", we placed a single concrete block against our shoreline found that boat wakes would move it around.

​​​•​ ​​Last week, for science , I constructed a small structure (a cairn) of a few concrete blocks buttressed and weighted with handy rocks in ankle-deep water and photographed it. The purpose of this shallow-water cairn is to study the effects of Winter's storm winds and ice, and to contrast any effects after the passing of a year.

As I'd made annual limnology calls to the late Jody Connor of NHDES, I think he would approve...