View Single Post
Old 09-21-2015, 06:08 AM   #33
ApS

Thumbs up Fishes Like "Structure"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
Let me be clear...our winter home is in a city with ridiculous restrictions such as...no pick up trucks, even personal ones, allowed to park overnight on your own property ( this was changed only last year). A building permit needed to paint your house, etc., etc. I do "bend" these rules at times.
I lived in the same city—and it's a pretty large one—"downtown" is growing especially fast. The city had restrictions on overnight parking of pickups or commercial vans at your residence. When the resident would apply for a permit, the city would even restrict what color you could paint your house!

Having said that, Hurricane Andrew showed which houses were built onto, or remodeled, without a permit.

"Bending" the Rules...

What I've seen around me, is that newbie lakefront owners like to move "their" rocks inland a few feet. We did the same thing as kids, but I don't remember why. Perhaps it's a need for a human's "dominion over the land" thing?

If egress is needed to the dock, boulders should be moved to deeper water—which is easier. If there's anything better for fishermen (and fish) it's "structure".

Bread-box-sized boulders are fairly easy to move when they're submerged, as their weight has been halved by displacing water. Using a $30 "digging bar" (incorrectly called a $135 Johnson-bar) the boulder can be nudged along the bottom. (A Johnson-bar would work, but not as well).

Larger boulders can be lifted with heavy rope or chains from a boat using a "cable-winch" (come-a-long). Use an aluminum canoe or rowboat, make a bridle of chain or cable, and reinforce the gunwales with an appropriate frame of wood 2-by-X to spread the load. [/QUOTE]

Mornings are getting chillier, and the water cooler, so start soon...it won't be any warmer in April!

If a strap breaks, or the canoe folds in half, the boulder was too large.