View Single Post
Old 09-17-2015, 03:36 PM   #17
Onshore

Speaking of double standards this highlights one that I find intriguing. I tend to sympathize with property rights issues more than some people might guess. I do understand why people get so chafed by regulations and the need to get permits. You pay hard earned money to own land then you pay taxes on it. Yet someone else gets a say in what you do with it. So how is it that individuals who are very strong proponents for property rights can have no qualms with the notion of going onto land that they don't own, in this case public submerged lands, and treating it as if it were theirs; building things, placing fill, or removing materials. If you don't own the land how do you justify those actions and yet claim to value property rights. I mean you wouldn't do that to your other, non-public, neighbor's land, would you? (Actually I have met some people that would)

Please understand that I'm not trying to be critical of any one or any group. These are not bad or corrupt people involved in these situations. This is just such a common issue that arises in what we do here in the office and I find this logic and rationalization to be intriguing and would throw it out there if anyone wishes to comment.
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Onshore For This Useful Post: