View Single Post
Old 03-11-2023, 09:03 PM   #85
ApS

Exclamation Lest We Forget...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
Geez, lighten up, Francis!! It was a joke! Although my point is valid in that the testifier loses credibility by categorizing all fast boater as distracted, booze guzzling novices. I have time now, and this issue is important. I have a few questions for you. Do you even own a power boat? Have you ever gone fast in a power boat? I have owned power boats most of my adult life. Not fast ones, just family boats. My dad owned boats that would do 60+ MPH for 40 years. His last boat was an Eliminator Daytona 27. It would do 85-90 depending on the wind and the chop. (Interesting fact: you go faster into a slight chop and wind than with the chop and wind.) Anyway, I had the privilege of driving and being with him going fast. Real fast. Went with him with my wife and my kids when they were young. Never once felt unsafe. My dad (and me when I drove) we’re safe, alert and responsible. After the implementation of the speed limit, he sold his boat. I am passionate about the issue since
most on the wrong side of the issue have never owned a power boat. They really don’t know what they are talking about. One so-called expert doesn’t define the issue. Anyway, one thing I know is true - my side lost the battle and the war. Given NH’s demographics, it is unlikely that we’ll have another shot at it.
The last memorable person to take your side ran their boat into an island. The collision with shoreline was speedy enough to kill a passenger and to have their boat's anchor fly off their deck to impact a residence.

That island marks the northern border of your proposed race course.

Is it possible that a year of "punishing" night-times in jail was sufficient to propose again a race course through the middle of Lake Winnipesaukee?

Or did such a light sentence steel the resolve of us "Winnipesaukee Boaters Against Fatalities" into opposition?