View Single Post
Old 03-11-2023, 02:11 PM   #65
sunset on the dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
I feel better about myself knowing that God put me on his great earth to amuse you! I tried finding the studies you referenced - 10 minutes - with no luck. Maybe you can provide links?

I know what I see and believe. Like many on this Forum I have been boating for many years. I’ve witnessed firsthand what I have thought were dangerous and unsafe situations. An example is some yahoo coming out of the channel with literally dozens of boats in front of him, bow up, full throttle. That’s dangerous. I have never thought or gauged some guy with a fast boat on open water with no one around him as being dangerous. I guess with the decline of common sense, we are forced to adopt silly rules. The irony is that those who lack common sense probably don’t adhere to rules anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thought everyone might like to read part of one person's testimony from last Wednesday's hearing in Concord. The testimonies are part of the public domain and as such are available for the public to review. His take, as one can see, contrasts wildly with Major's rather "Twilight Zone" interpretation of the issues at hand.

"My name is ........, I am a professional Mariner, having graduated from Maine Maritime Academy in 1983. I hold an unlimited Master License, the highest license the USCG issues, and I have lived and boated in NH for over 30 years........

... Professionally, I held Master High Speed Vessel license and operated the HSV Westpac Express in service to the Marine Corp in mid 2000’s. On that vessel, capable of only 40 Knots, on open ocean, not 80-100 mph in enclosed waters full of skiers, kayakers, even swimmers who cross between islands, we had to maintain a bridge watch as follows. 2 men in the control chairs at all times, within arms reach to throttles, one licensed engineer in chair behind us, also eyes forward as lookout. We had ECDIS, 2 radars with ARPA Collision avoidance, AIS and other modern safety features. On that vessel, if I wished to relieve myself on watch, I was not able to get up from my command chair unless the other two chairs were fully manned. No distractions were allowed, no music, no visitors distracting watch officer. Let’s contrast this with a go fast boat, often with either kids on board or beers in hand, sometimes both, towels and toys flying about boat at speed, which are all distractions to the operator. There is no formal training, no electronic collision avoidance equipment, boat is operating in constricted waters with small spar buoys, kayaks, wakeboarders, and the occasional swimmer."