View Single Post
Old 03-10-2023, 10:53 AM   #23
sunset on the dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
Sorry, but I disagree. The article you reference is inapplicable to the issue of speed limits on the lake. There is no data that shows that a speed limit has had any effect on safety on our lake. Believe me, if there were, we would all know about it. Observationally, it seems like most accidents are caused by 1) violating the 150 foot rule, and 2) drinking and boating.

Regarding the vocal minority making rules for the rest of us, most of us are busy working and honestly don't care enough to take time from our busy lives to weigh in on this or any other important or nonimportant issue. There are over 100,000 watercraft on the lake, so 700 emails seems like a vocal minority to me. I don't know one person who owns a boat who believes we should have a speed limit. (I know, I sound like Pauline Kael referencing Nixon's landslide victory.)
Well I guess this must be the new reality. 23 to 2, 18:0, 700 to a handful...all a minority. It brings to mind another "minority"... the 80% of NH reps who supported the bill a decade ago that made 45/30 law, with an even higher percentage of reps from towns bordering the lake in support.

I feel sorry for those individuals who cannot or will not grasp even the basic tenets of physics, statistics, probability and science. But yikes...100,000 boats on the lake. I'm glad it will continue to be illegal for them to exceed 45 MPH!