View Single Post
Old 03-10-2023, 08:25 AM   #20
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset on the dock View Post
I think you are wrong:
A 5 mph increase in the maximum speed limit was associated with an 8 percent increase in the fatality rate on interstates and freeways. https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/spe...-over-25-years Physics, probability, and statistics all support this. Even our own Marine Patrol agrees with this.

And as far as a vocal minority I find it interesting that 700 emails were received by Concord reps with only a handful in favor of HB 448. And 23 speaking out against the bill, just two in favor. All 18 reps, half Democrat, half Republican opposed HB 448. Where was the outpouring of support from the other side?

And yes, we hear how the owners of fast boats are the best and safest boaters. Clearly the kayaker hit by the Monterey would disagree. As would the swimmer hit by a boat at 65 MPH. As would Mr. Hartman, killed by Mr. Littlefield. Ditto the Blizzard accident.

And a drunk boater at 65 MPH is far more dangerous than one at 35 MPH.
Sorry, but I disagree. The article you reference is inapplicable to the issue of speed limits on the lake. There is no data that shows that a speed limit has had any effect on safety on our lake. Believe me, if there were, we would all know about it. Observationally, it seems like most accidents are caused by 1) violating the 150 foot rule, and 2) drinking and boating.

Regarding the vocal minority making rules for the rest of us, most of us are busy working and honestly don't care enough to take time from our busy lives to weigh in on this or any other important or nonimportant issue. There are over 100,000 watercraft on the lake, so 700 emails seems like a vocal minority to me. I don't know one person who owns a boat who believes we should have a speed limit. (I know, I sound like Pauline Kael referencing Nixon's landslide victory.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post: