Thread: EZpass Startup?
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005, 07:20 AM   #48
VarneyPoint

Default Bad Signs

The state highway department needs to go over the signage and also the placement of the EZ-Pass lane. My two complaints (which is really one large complaint) is that A.) a sign that says "EZ-Pass Lane 5" is really of zero help to anyone who has not driven through the tolls before and can be rather deceiving since depending on the day, there may be 6 lanes open in a given direction or as many as 8 or 9 during peak travel times, ie. long weekends, nascar races, etc. B.) Why is the EZ-Pass lane in the middle of two exact change lanes? I am not a traffic engineer, but it makes little sense to me to have a lane that does not stop (EZ-Pass) sandwiched between two lanes that do stop (exact change). This past weekend alone, I had to swerve around numerous cars who were in the wrong lane (bad signage). It makes more sense to me to have EZ-Pass in the farthest left lane. That way no one is confused when they pull up to the toll plaza. The sign can say, "EZ-Pass, LEFT LANE ONLY." The purpose of EZ-Pass is defeated if you have to stop at the toll plaza because the signage is so bad that you and/or other drivers don't know where you/they should be. Also, more than one lane would be nice. Hopefully more will be added once the system starts to get more customers. I am sorry for the long rant, but I found it extremely dangerous this weekend with people getting caught in the wrong lane, changing lanes quickly, people expecting to fly right through the EZ-Pass lane having to stop and blare on their horns because someone was confused.
VarneyPoint is offline   Reply With Quote