Thread: EZpass Startup?
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2005, 11:42 AM   #12
ghfromaltonbay

Default EZ Pass has no lights

Lake Geezer,

I've had an EZ Pass thru the NY State Thruway Authority for many years. There are no lights or indicators on the transponder. At the toll booths on the NY Thruway and the Garden State Pkway here in NJ a traffic light type signal is mounted beyond the toll booth. As you drive thru it lights up and says "EZ Pass toll paid". On the Mass Tpke. the indicator lights up and says "Thank You" when you enter the pike and also when you exit thru the Fast Lane booths. I'll be glad when they finally install EZ Pass on the Everett Tpke. which will mean that I can drive from northern NJ over the Tappan Zee Bridge and will not have to stop or open the window to pay a toll the entire 310 mile trip. Most places you have to slow down to 15 mph to pass thru the EZ Pass tolls. However, on the Garden State Parkway and NJ turnpike there are now high speed lanes on the extreme left at many toll plazas where the booths have been removed and drivers maintain the speed limit (65 mph) and pass beneath overhead readers which read the transponders and debit your account. It's great!! I've had my account so many years that last year the Thruway authority sent me a new transponder based on the average battery life and I had 14 days to send back the old one in a prepaid mailer to avoid being charged for the replacement transponder. In the NY system, as long as you maintained a $25 base account and they had your credit card # there was no charge for a transponder. If you want to leave this system, you mail back the transponder and no charges are incurred.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote