View Single Post
Old 12-28-2020, 11:04 AM   #39
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
I know testing oil is a foreign concept for you.

I would do OIL TESTS on the the first 4-5 oil changes.
After confirming the interval had some life left in the oil and nothing was changing test to test.
Then I would stop doing OIL TESTS, it's not cheap and a PITA, but a few tests were worth it to me.
Then I MIGHT do another OIL TEST at 100K and 200K. More curious than anything. At 200K I didn't really care.

If you are really into cars it can spot problems before to much damage is done and a lot of car fanatics will test every oil change.

I just wanted to confirm the oil interval was safe (with plenty of margin for error) I don't do 12K miles. Typically 8-9K. But if it ran to 11K I knew it would be fine.

My latest car I skipped doing oil tests, don't ever check the oil and never change the oil or filter Kind of like your lawn mower I guess.

Yes, I've done my research on the internet for a lot of things and I wouldn't try to learn about oil on a Lake Forum. That's why I steered the OP to the right place.

Oh and that high mileage oil can help on some cars with some problems. I'd love to share stories on it but I don't feel like getting bashed on that too.
Is the interval the only thing you would've changed with the testing results? I mean, how many vehicles/machines fail because of oil quality? Other than running dry or overfilling, I'm not sure I've ever even heard of it happening.

I've only been driving and using machines for 27 years, but I'd be surprised if outside of racing/incredibly high tolerance engines, oil doesn't matter much beyond proper amount, viscosity, cleanliness, and interval.

I suppose if one is attempting to see how long an oil would last between changes, testing might be useful, but, for me, there are so many variables I'd have to build in a sizeable margin of error anyway.

For example, I go 10k on full synthetic in my 4Runner, but if I'm towing or doing a lot of backcountry runs in summer, I'll go 5K.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote