Thread: speed limits
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2004, 09:46 PM   #12
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,064 Posts

I think that Mee N Mac hits on one thing that makes the shrinking 150' zone just a little scary is the unpredictability of the other vessel (driver). In a car, we kinda assume (which can get us in trouble) that the other guy will stay on their side of the yellow line.

There are many times out on the lake when I feel like I somehow got stuck in the middle of a Joey Chitwood Thrill show, with vessels overtaking me two and three abreast, and just as many going the other way, and no yellow line for a "sense of security". Going in and out Alton Bay, Wolfeboro, Governors Island - Timber - Eagle Island area, etc. you will see a lot of "multi lane" passing, most less than 150' apart, and no separation by direction. I do try to keep to the right when I get into narrow or congested areas, but find a lot of others don't really seem to care about what side of the road they are on.

And then there is the "tunnel vision". It seems the faster some boats go, the narrower the forward field of vision becomes, something that can be a problem for the untrained driver at truly high speeds. Just as we get tunnel vision driving on the highway at high speeds (doing 80 and never see the cop in the median), the same thing can happen in the boat.

Just glad I can pick and choose my times to be out there, at least for the most part.