View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 12:21 PM   #55
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Here is the thing, was the marine Patrol boat, the only boat in the six pack at the time you witnessed him going down the middle??? I wouldn't be surprised by the fact that he was.... I live over in that area, and everyone including the MP comes right down the middle of the six pack if no one else is around.... Its only when there are other boats in the channel that you need to scoot off to the sides...... Oh and by the way if two boats are in the six pack, it is very quesitonable as to weather they are 150 feet from each other.... so they should just be at headway speed.....
He was in fact the only boat on a day with very limited boat traffic.

Also, one day about 2-3 years ago I actually had the opportunity to ask a Marine Patrol officer the very question you raised. I was curious as I go through that area quite often. I asked if two boats could legally pass above headway speed through the 6 pack. He replied yes that they could provided both vessels were "hugging the markers." He gauged the channel to be greater than 300 feet across. Just barely I'm sure. So if you're passing the Mount You better come off plane. A traditional 8- 8.5 foot beam would be the key to passing legally. Any more than that it becomes a close call.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote