View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #195
ApS

Cool "Unseen" Leaf-Litter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
"...If Concord wants to have a positive and immediate impact on the health of the lakes, give a 100% tax credit to shorefront homeowners who upgrade their septic systems..."
I'd agree with a pumpout of any system upon every sale of a real estate property.

As a homeowner who has lived here two decades before the lake's quality index was reduced from a "Class A" lake to a "Class B" lake, there are at least three major changes that have affected water quality—IMHO:

1) Thousands of new structures have been built.
2) Thousands of new homes have been built with only token regard to clay and silt depositions in rainwater runoff. (Growing milfoil and algae).
3) Even more than thousands of new homes have added dishwashers.

Dishwasher detergent:

1) Because of its nature to "grow" milfoil and algae, a high phosphorus content of certain cleansers has been banned from many watershed communities nationwide—though not banned in the "Live Free or Die" state.

2) Dishwasher detergents contain an extremely high phosphorus content.

3) Dishwasher detergents have been exempted from those nationwide bans!

Phosphorus eventually finds its way to the lake even through the newest of septic systems.

My point, if it's not clear, is that we've ringed the lake with thousands of new, previously non-existant, dishwashing appliances that add a pollutant that fertilizes algae and milfoil.

The addition of qualifying new septic systems—and upgrades to existing systems—has not allowed the Lake to approach the water's quality before those thousands of homes were constructed: In fact, it's not even close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
"...I highly doubt that maintenance crews are blowing leaf litter into the lake on a widespread basis. C'mon, give us a break..."
ETA: Sunday's Edit
Edited To Add for Today's observations:
My immediate neighbor's yard just received "yard maintenance". (Yes, on Sunday—Mother's Day ).

Since we are "green" --> <-- and prefer a natural New Hampshire-style woods, we have no objection that most of the leaf litter was directed to our yard by the leafblower-guy.

At the same time, the other guy raked leaf litter downhill towards the lake. Then, the leafblower-guy tried to send the pile into the lake.

But very few leaves ended up in the lake—only because we had gusting winds of about 30-MPH!

(End of Edit).

(Start of another edit!)
ETA: Wednesday's Edit
Two leafblowers operated for what seemed like hours this Wednesday. (So they've changed from the usual Thursday routine of last year).

Since there was no wind, the newest leaf litter pile on the water stayed in front of the two properties. At 4PM, an east wind came up, and made a trail of leaves about 300 yards long.

I've taken a photo as proof-positive, and when the film is processed, I'll post it here for Seaplane Pilot's edification.

(Start of still another edit!)

ETA: Today, Tuesday's Edit:

'Went to a yard sale two weeks ago among a neighborhood of about 10 "newer" homes on Knoll Road's steep lots. Unhappily, the odor of overflowed septic tank permeated the neighborhood. (Knoll Road is a stone's throw from Lake Winnipesaukee).

(End of 3rd Edit—returning to original post).

It's possible that it's only my neighborhood that is getting ritzier.

Just last Monday, I watched a crew blowing leaf-litter into the lake from two adjacent properties a few doors down.

One of the two properties is an immense McMansion with 181-feet of lake frontage. The trail of leaves drifted under my dock as I watched. (And there's nothing unusual about that occurrence, though Thursday "cleanups" are worse than Monday's).

I'd suggest you listen in your neighborhood: When the leafblowers stop, you may have to acknowledge the following phrase:

Last edited by ApS; 06-30-2009 at 05:34 PM. Reason: 3rd Edit: Add Knoll Rd., Remove erosion para, add Sunday's observation on littering...2nd Edit Photo
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote