View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 11:09 AM   #83
Shedwannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
The law provides for other means of identification besides a license.

Remember, it is a discretionary call on the part of the officer as to what he needs to reasonably verify your identity. The RSAs give him substantial latitude in determining what he needs as proof.

And again, it usually ends up going to a person's demeanor as to how far the search for identity will go.

Now this is on the land...but I was stopped for speeding in Sanbornton recently...which is VERY RARE for me, cause I'm usually THE slowest driver on the road (but the cop don't know that) and I hadn't brought my wallet with me, so he asked me for my license and I said "I don't have it with me" - he looked at my registration, checked it out, and said "Keep your speed down next time. Have a good day"

Perhaps I am more famous than I thought...I didn't know the officer, but maybe he knew me.....

Actually, I think it was because my wife was in the car - she has NEVER been given a speeding ticket despite having been stopped way more times than I ever have. I guess her good speeding karma rubbed off on me that day.
Shedwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote