View Single Post
Old 10-31-2008, 04:59 PM   #49
M/V_Bear_II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnicandle View Post
I guess that was not a good enough example?

Its good enough for me.
You said there were *plural* examples. I was hoping you had more of them. And I think I showed that there were bigger issues present in Germany long before Hitler addressed gun control.

Or do you think that if the Weimar Republic had not had limited gun control, the Jews would have revolted when the 1935 Nuremberg Laws were announced? If so, then I guess I should drop the argument on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M. View Post
Ottoman Empire, Soviet Union, China, Cambodia
China had a full-on civil war. I don't think they were "giving up their guns".

Cambodia, I don't know enough about to address. But if you can give me any evidence that gun control contributed to the genocide, I'll give it to you.

The Soviet Union's gun control coincided with Stalinist repression. I'm still not convinced that without it, the purges would have been avoided, but I'll give it to you.

And I assume you mean the Armenians in the Ottoman Empire. This is a great example, and I thank you for bringing it up, because I had not considered it. That was gun control legislation aimed at a specific ethnic group, which later led to genocide. This is an excellent piece of evidence, which is all I was looking for.
M/V_Bear_II is offline   Reply With Quote