View Single Post
Old 09-22-2008, 03:23 PM   #136
jetskier

Post Generally high

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonVoting Taxpayer View Post
Since you asked on this thread, I feel compelled to defend the Lobster Pound
You need to know that depending on the size of the steamers you may only get between 12 - 20 per pound. When people see a pound (weighed on a scale) they can't believe it's a pound. I worked at a fish market and can say by experience, that most of the time people order a pound or two they always ask for more.
Why the high price? You don't buy frozen steamers nor do you freeze them if they don't sell so the throw away or spoil rate is high. Second, with all the rain up in Maine, the price of steamers have gone off the wall due to the red tide and closure of the mud flats. Most people who dig steamers also pick blueberries and unfortunately, they make more money on blueberries then digging clams.
So once and for all give the Lobster Pound a break when it comes to personnal preferences. if the menu say's a pound is $15 and you think that's high, as Vitabean said "don't order it".
Our observation is that the Lobster Pound tends to be generally high on a number of items. I am chocking this up to the location and need to recover the investment in the new building. That being said, there are a number of good seafood restaurants in the area and most of them appear to have lower prices.

We have noticed that the business at the Lobster Pound has been brisk on the weekends, so they appear to be doing well. The real question will be how they do in the off season and into next year? That appears to be the challenge for any business in the Weirs district.

Personally, I hope that the establishment does well. I don't think that their food is particularly special, however, they do have a great location and a very good view. That helps.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote