View Single Post
Old 08-30-2008, 09:22 AM   #127
sa meredith

Default My Turn...

Yesterday (Friday) I had the chance to finally visit the Lobster Pound, and was very curious about what the experience would be like, in light of the numerous posts in this thread.
I was up at the lake with a good friend for our anual three day get away, to boat, booze, golf, and watch some baseball. Well, somehow, after golf, we ended up at Funspot to bowl "10 Pin". Had not done that since 1984...but that's a whole other story.
So, it's roughly 3:30, so not lunch time and certainly not dinner time either. And, as we were ready to settle in to some adult beverages, I suggested the Lobster Pound. And I have to say...the place simply got a "bad wrap".
To say I was impressed upon walking in would be an understatement. We got an immediate, warm greeting from a hostess with a big smile. The place was sparkling clean, and all the tables were set impecably. Everything just plain looked great. I mentioned to her I had never been, so she gave me a quick rundown of seating options..dining room, main bar, outside deck, and the third floor outdoor bar (apps only for food on the third floor). Now, in the interest of keeping a level playing field, I have to say it was just 3:45, so there was very very few customers there. So the problems others have encountered here...waiting forever for their food, and not getting quick service were problems I would have no chance of experiencing, as there was wait staff everywhere, in anticipation of a very large crowd arriving later.
We sat at the main bar, as the third floor bar was not yet open.
And I have to say...just friendly employees everywhere. Anyone who we happened to ask a question to was happy to talk about the restaurant, and the new owners...anything you wanted to know.
So, several beers at the bar, and an order of Steamers. They were perfect. After a short while the hostess came by and tapped me on the shoulder, mentioning that the third floor bar was now open....very nice of her.
Oh, as an aside..while we were sitting at the bar, a cook came out with a 17 lb lobster for all to see. Still alive. Pretty cool.
So we grab our drinks and head upstairs. The place was starting to get busy, and the food that I did see looked fantastic (for whatever that's worth).
Up on the third floor, we grabbed the two last remaining bar stools, and agian were greeted in a very friendly, and inviting way. We order crabcakes, and the now famous sesame ginger scallops. They are very clearly marked as an app., by the way, and at 8.99, I don't know how anyone would think it was an entre. They come with "Sticky Rice", so I am wondering if the poster a while back asked for a potatoe, instead of the rice, and that is were the potatoe came from...just a guess. Anyway...the food was great...we had it in 12/15 minutes, and it was fantastic.
The friend I was with is an part owner/GM of a popular restaurant, and he was surprised by the size and number of tables. And upon learning that they seat 400+, was amazed they could handle it. He told me his place seats 220, and when at capacity, all employees...wait staff, cooks, expo poeple...have to very very sharp. Everyone on their game. So at 400...wow.
I think this would explain some of the long ticket times written about earlier in this thread. Everyone was probably still learning, and with a full house...well, something had to give.
I can't say one negative thing about the two hours we spend at the Lobster Pound...the little food that we had was great, the service was perfect, and the atmosphere was exactly what I wanted. I guess I could say this...the menu is very pricey. If you are going for dinner, apps, drinks etc., I would say to plan for $50/$60 a head, easy.
And lastly...quick story regarding this forum. As we sat at the third floor bar, I was lucky enough to be sitting near a gentleman named Steve, and his lovely wife ( I forget her name) Anyway, the conversation turns to the lake and boating, and his 30+ years on the lake. Nice people...it really added to my enjoyment of the night. We start to discuss, in detail, the lake, and how difficult it can be out there. He tells me a horror story or two...and then says he recently read a story on line about some guy who drove right into the Witches, but came out OK. I laughed a bit to myself...but Steve, if you happen to read this...you were talking to that same guy! Small world.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post: