View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008, 11:48 AM   #94
parrothead

Default Facts is the difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
Look, I'm not trying to a jerk. And my analogy is just that, an analogy. I wish nothing but the best for Erica, her family, and all others affected by the incident.
My point is just this...be careful when reacting passionately in a public forum.
You need to be consistent to have credibility. I remember first reading about Diamond Island, and all the sympathy that came out, and yet I could not help but think back to previous threads were it was stated time and again that a captain's first and most important responsibility is the safety of his/her passengers. Sort of a double edge sword.
In this case, someone like Twoplustwo (in my opinion) can't post something like "I'll keep Erica in my thoughts and prayers", and then vilify another person who acted irresponsibly. Erica's actions had tradgic results...the skimmers, not so much. Were is the consistency here?
At this time the investigation into the Diamond Island accident is still not completed. The skimmer was caught and there is no question what he did. If this skimmer God forbid had hurt or killed himself or others, my response would be still to offer condolences to the families involved. I would think that it's too bad because it all could have been avoided. The same with the Diamond Island accident. If the facts of the case include that Erica was intoxicated, then I will still feel for the families involved. And feel extra bad that it all could have been avoided. Luckily we don't have to offer condolences to the skimmer's family or anyone else. He got lucky and wasn't hurt, but as I said before it could easily have gone the other way.