View Single Post
Old 08-24-2004, 10:13 AM   #10
Coastal Laker

Default Do some research before shopping

From the way you framed your question, it sounds like you may have owned a "used" boat previously. You mention you are shopping for your first "new" boat. Regardless, web sites like this one are a good place to start for comprehensive info on seeking a boat (first new, used, or first ever):

http://www.boattest.com/howtobuyfirstboat.aspx

Key things to review when comparing models, aside from what others have already suggested (in no order of preference):
  1. Decide what is important to you and compare those features so you don't become overwhelmed and can better organize information
  2. Storage: where are you going to put all your stuff? This is overlooked all too often (until it is too late)
  3. Quality of build: All fiberglass construction? How much wood built into the boat and where? Compare fit and finish: don't want to be replacing vinyl seats etc. sooner than you'd expect
  4. Engine size/hp - relevant to how you intend to use the boat. Don't go underpowered to save money, you'll regret it later. A test drive will help you here - how easy/quick do you get on plane, how it cruises, etc.
  5. Of course handling - in your test drive, if you take one (strongly recommended) - try various speeds, getting on plane, taking various degrees of turns, stopping quickly (to see if water is likely to come over the transom), the effects of using trim. Try calm water, choppy water, whatever you can reproduce as an environment you are likely to be in
  6. There's plenty other items (but I'm getting tired of typing)
As far as arming yourself with numbers, the recommendation to check out boattraderonline.com was already mentioned. You won't find new boat prices on nada.com. You could compare between dealers: don't just shop around the lake. Get prices from dealers outside the lakes region and perhaps even into MA. Only caution is the service level you could expect here when buying somewhere else.

Personally, I just bought my first "used" boat and will never buy new again. I have more boat than I could afford at the same price new - and it is only one yr old.

Good luck to you. I hope you find the perfect one!
Coastal Laker is offline   Reply With Quote