View Single Post
Old 05-14-2008, 09:52 PM   #31
Airwaves

Quote:
Originally posted by VtSteve
I am a bit disappointed at the lack of course here from the USCG, given their new mansion on the lake. The PS can only do so much.
I can shed a little light on that by briefly talking out of school. (don't tell anyone )

When I was actively involved in the USCGAux my Division did try to establish a presence on Lake Winnipesaukee. We conducted a number of what were then called Courtesy Marine Examinations (now called Vessel Safety Checks) and we had hopes of establishing at least one flotilla on the lake. The Marine Patrol requested that we stop doing them because they said essentially it was their turf. I personally had a conversation with the director (don't recall if it was Flynn, Barrett or someone else) about this.

Also you may remember the USCGAux briefly set up a radio direction post somewhere near Gunstock. I think it was at the request of CG Group Portland, but I could be wrong about that, because chatter on VHF Channel 16 from the lake was inteferring with Coast Guard communication on the distress frequency out of Portland. That didn't go over very well either.

So basically the Coast Guard Auxililary (the civilian/education arm of the Coast Guard) was invited to leave the lake.

If I don't have this exactly right forgive me, it was a while ago (I want to say early to mid 90's). Perhaps one of the other USCGAuxiliarists that are still active on the forum can shed more light.

There are Coast Guard Auxiliary education courses held in some of the NH border towns with Mass and ME that cover NH regulation.

What USCG mansion on the lake are you talking about, did I miss an email from someone????
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote