View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 11:11 AM   #20
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakershaker View Post
I posted this a few years ago, and was immediately shot down, but here it goes again...

It was likely shot down because it is fairly illogical. Should RV's also have property taxes levied against them?

There is a great difference between a building on a piece of property, and a vehicle of sorts that has no adjacent property. For one thing, the value of your camp will, over time, steadily increase (and there is no need to get off-topic about year over year housing prices). The value of a boat (or RV) will steadily decrease over time (perhaps with very few exceptions for particularly unique vessels).

There are many ways to experience the lake, you can do so as a mainland property owner (with or without waterfront), as an island property owner (with or without waterfront), via an RV/campsite, via a Boat/slip, or even via tent/campsite. They all have their pros and cons, and tradeoffs that most people recognize and voluntarily accept when choosing their lake-experience-method-of-choice.

I'll tell you what, since you think a "houseboat" is roughly equivalent to your island "camp", I will purchase to your spec and trade you outright a houseboat and deeded dock of current equivalent value to your campsite. You will then be able to enjoy a comparable experience to what you have now, without the burden of property taxes.
brk-lnt is offline   Reply With Quote