Thread: New to NH
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2008, 04:52 PM   #37
jeffk

Default Time Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyG View Post
My wife and I are new to NH. We just bought a boat and will be docking at Fay's. We would like some insight as to where to go/what to do on the lake. (Besides the obvious, fish, ski, etc.) When are the "busy" times, what areas should we avoid, etc...

Thanks
TG
Welcome to the big Lake Tim.

There’s been a lot of good boating advice but when you want a break from the water or are getting hungry and want to put into port for a bit, thinking ahead can pay off. The town’s docks are very busy on summer weekends and sometimes midweek as well. If you don’t mind floating around waiting for an open space just drop by whenever you want. However, if you want to get in with a little less fuss consider arriving early or mid afternoon to miss the lunch crowd. We find that getting into Wolfeboro or Meredith around 10:30 and browsing the shops for an hour or so and then grabbing lunch works really well. If you’re a late lunch group wait until 2:00 (although some restaurants may not be open).

I am assuming you are familiar with New Hampshire’s unique navigation marking system and boating laws and rules that are not that common as well. (If you are not, I’m sure everyone here would be HAPPY to educate you) Be prepared for a certain percentage of boaters to be guilty of BI, Boating Incomprehensibly. Unfortunately some fall victim to “Lake Fever” and just go wild (please resist the urge to join them). Just give yourself some extra time and room and boat defensively and you should be fine.

Finally, advice on navigating the Graveyard, don’t bother. I have been up on the North end of the lake for 14 years and I can count on one hand the number of times I have taken my boat through there. Just go between Melvin and Chases islands instead. It’s plenty wide to go through on plane, even in traffic, and no rocks to worry about.

The Lake really is close to "Heaven on Earth". Have a great summer.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote