View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008, 10:05 AM   #38
Bear Islander

[QUOTE=WeirsBeachBoater;62840]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
Yes, the speed limit study was invented to delay, and eventually kill, HB847. I think that is obvious. Almost one year ago the Transportation Committee was about to vote to send HB847 to the house. At the hearing the Commissioner literally called in on the telephone and proposed they retain the bill so the MP could conduct a study. If that does not meet the definition of "politically motivated" then I don't know what does.

From WMUR
Rep. James Pilliod, sponsor of the statewide speed limit bill, decried the proposal to sidetrack it for more study and called the pilot program a joke. Calling for more study is an old legislative trick for killing bills, he said, and, in this case, represents "a careful design, right from the first, of the sellers of large boats."

I was hoping you would say this. The Speed limit study was a direct result of your friends at Winnfabs!!!! When they lost last year they went back to the drawing board, and used an RSA, I am not 100% but I think 270:12? They then got their 25 signatures and placed a petition before the Dept of Safety to out a restriction on Lake Winnipesaukee. At that time the Commissioner was going to act, but alas Winnfabs got HB 847 introduced. Once that happened, the Commissioner decided that he would not step on the toes of the legislators, and let them decide. When the committee was struggling with whether or not the speed limit had merit, the commissioner offered this study to help determine whether there was a problem. Once the study started and Winnfabs found out it wasn't going their way, they went back to the reps in their pockets and had JLCRT kill the funding of this study. Luckily the MP went on and finished the study. So was the the study politically motivated YES, BY WINNFABS!!!! You won't admit it, but I will shout it to the mountains, the pro-speed limit side, will stoop to any level, lie, cheat, steal to try and get this passed!
I don't have "friends" at WinnFABS, I only know one person connected with them. I am in no way responsible for what they do or say, and visa versa.

Most speed or horsepower limits on lakes in New Hampshire have been enacted by administrative rule. The Dept. of Safety is petitioned by a group of citizens, after a public hearing process the Commissioner has the power to enact a rule. In 1973 I petitioned the Dept. for a ban on water-skiing on Sunset Lake. It was granted and is in effect to this day.

A group of citizens, I assume WinnFABS supporters, petitioned for a speed limit on Winnipesaukee. That the Commissioner used this petition as a excuse to perform a speed study that would delay HB847 was a cruel joke. It may have been brilliant political strategy, but to say that WinnFABS asked for or wanted the study is a lie.

This would be like your complaining to the town that your streetlight is burned out, and they respond by taking down the pole.

Both sides have used political maneuvers to achieve their goals. That is, unfortunately, the way it works.