View Single Post
Old 01-27-2008, 05:31 PM   #14
Mink Islander

Default Updated Ice Conditions

I took my first hike out to Mink Island on Saturday morning bright and early. I cut holes every couple hundred yards until I was well over towards Mark Island and then tested again about half way between Mark and Mink Islands (when I encountered some slush and wanted to be sure what was under me) Very consistent ice thickness of 8-9" including 2-3 inches of weaker "snow ice" between Cattle Landing and through and around the channel between Mark and Bear Islands and then across to Mink. Overnight, an additional 1-2" formed in front of my place, so conditions are improving quickly. Saw several groups of sleds on Saturday including at least one coming through from the Broads side of Jolly Island from the north -- a bit aggressive given that general area only locked in during the past week. Saw almost zero sled activity today. With the couple of inches of fluff that fell this morning and the additional ice thickness, lake conditions are now quite good in the area I travelled.

Highlight of the morning was a coyote that came bounding over from Bear Island and passed about 50 yards away from me at a full run heading south. Saw him later way off by Mark Island.

On my hike out, I encountered a much expanded ice rift running a bit East of Dolly Island across to the mainland. Pretty consistent 12-18 inch ridge running the whole way across today. Much more pronounced than the day before. Easy enough to cross, but I wouldn't want to hit it at night going fast on a sled....
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote