Thread: The Woodshed?
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2007, 09:53 AM   #18
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default At the risk of going "Off Topic"

I agree with Samiam and his comments on the marbling of Prime Rib.. ( I apply the same standard to Rib Eye) The more the better. maybe yours was excessive.. but here is a discripton from no less authority than Lobels.. NYC.

"Prime Ribs of Beef

Rib roasts are the most desirable and tender of all beef roasts. The ribs are from the rib section of the forequarter. The meat is very juicy and well marbled with a layer of fat on the outside. The size of the roast is flexible, and can be cut to serve a small family or a large dinner party.

There are four ways we prepare prime ribs:

* Standing Rib Roast: The roast is slightly trimmed and the short ribs are cracked.
* Half Standing Rib Roast No. 1: Trimmed lightly with the short ribs completely removed.
* Half Standing Rib Roast No 2: Trimmed lightly with short ribs removed. All bones are removed from meat and then tied back in place. After roasting, the strings are cut, bones are removed and the roast is sliced with ease.
* Rolled Rib Roast: The roast is well trimmed and the short ribs are cut off. Then the roast is completely boned and rolled and tied over the outside layer of fat.

Best cooking method: Oven Roast or grill with indirect heat.
"

Any problem you have with the way he delivered the message is between you and he..

PS... As soon as they plow my road I may have to get a Roast for tonight... hmmmmm.. this discussion has made me hungry!