View Single Post
Old 12-02-2007, 09:27 PM   #64
Kamper

Mr & Mrs A (and all the little A-lettes...)

I just switched from an electric blanket to an electric heating pad. I have a water bed so it is probably more notciable for me than it would be on a normal mattress. I also used to worry about over-flexing the elements in the blanket when a careless guest would sit or sleep on top of it.

I was considerring using the plastic window sheets already mentionned. My family used them several times when we lived in a drafty old farmhouse in Litchfield. The land-lady was not too thrilled at the tack-holes in the frames but since she was my grandmother I dont think she did anything more than growl at my father.... What I decided to try are the foam insulation sheets.

I've got one trimmed to fit across the bottom of a double wide window in the living room and smaller ones inserted in the top frames and the other, smaller, windows in the house. I have left a horizontal gap for light and viewing but on those realy cold days I expect to fill those in also. They cut easily with a thin-bladed knife - just trim them a couple hairs wider than the gap so the "squeeze" will hold them in place.

In the spring or if I entertain I can just pluck them out and not worry about damage. They are also easily removed for the occasional bit of fresh air.

They come in a variety of thicknesses and even a choice of colors, pink or silver. I am using the 1"X2'X8' sheets (H-D $8 and change). Measure carefully and slice it about 1/3 to 3/4 through then flex and snap it for a neater edge.

Dont forget the celler windows and check the attic. The square vents can be restricted during the winter. If you have vents under the eaves you can close off the upwind square vent.

I want to be clear, I am not talking about the white styrofoam sheets. Those are good insulation too but the curds will wear off and make a mess. Neither material is fire-proof but my opinion is they are only slightly mor dangerous than exposed wood.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote