View Single Post
Old 06-29-2007, 04:41 AM   #34
ApS

Question Whither Wetter Weather?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC
not the absolute number of gallons sold. When plotted year to year to eliminate random variations, a trend might emerge....
A trend like New Hampshire's weather during the summers—when 2003-2006 were our wettest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgold44
"...I ask all the old timers out there to tell us if the traffic on the lake is getting lighter each year..."
I'm fully qualified to answer, then!

...And I'm saying that the trend is obviously downward: and it's a result of converging trends.

1) Boater-Ed is trying to blend the Older Boater in at present: some won't be bothered, and will just play golf or game electronically. (Not to mention that their test taking skills are less well-honed than younger boaters and the requirements have just become an impediment this year over the much-friendlier on-line requirements!)

2) Gas has increased in cost, but it's been incremental; all the while, boats are incrementally larger—creating new demand for fuel—thereby raising the cost of fuel!

3) Larger boats contribute to the lake's "agitation-cycle" that conflicts with other former activities, such as waterskiing, sightseeing, cruising, picnicking at anchor, and learning to waterski.

Tubing thrives on the "agitation-cycle", and ever-larger boats are taking up the activity!

4) Ocean-racers pride themselves on their money-spending and have little to fear financially from enforcement activities: there's that intimidation factor from their speeds and wakes—particularly in congested bays and harbors.

5) Some begin their boating experience with a large-ish boat for Lake Winnipesaukee, and have little appreciation for the effect of their wakes on other boaters and swimmers in shallow waters. (Where wakes really increase in force).

There. I think I'm done!

Last edited by ApS; 07-03-2007 at 06:15 AM. Reason: 'Just noticed that an Old-Timer's opinion was requested!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote