View Single Post
Old 04-14-2024, 04:26 PM   #16
John Mercier

None of the projects you listed, except this 50 condo project, and the LSS project, have any workforce housing that was ever associated with the projects. Nothing in the Weirs was ever proposed for workforce housing, Barton's was not promoted to be workforce housing either.

Also, members of the ''workforce'' do not need a public launch on Winnipesaukee. Generations of Laconia natives have lived here... and we never had a public ramp to Winnipesaukee or Winnisquam (that is a more recent development).

I've lived here my whole life and never had a problem enjoying the area.

I miss the Soda Shoppe and South End Diner, but Cafe DejaVu and Water Street Cafe are just as good; and when I want some light dinner fare... South End Pizza & Seafood... a little different than Weeks and the Soda Shoppe; but it works. And I don't over partake in any of this, so waiting in line for a bit on a Sunday morning or a Friday/Saturday night is not really an issue.

The middle class is migrating to the lower class ''workforce'' and higher class ''upper middle''; and the charts show that. The ''powers'' are simply promoting what the residents want. Same with the builders... they build whatever you want.

The problem is attitude. Levittown is a well known example of promoting a middle class lifestyle... 6000 SF lots with 750 SF starter homes.

We have some of those small homes in Laconia right on North Main St. No lake views, no special lake access, no public boating ramp... but you will notice the yards change. Some are well kept with planting of flowers and compact trees... drives with family cars; or sometimes they are in the garage. Those households are being well established, and will most likely move up into the middle class and onward to the upper middle class.

The others... well the move downward will be noticed rather quickly.
John Mercier is online now   Reply With Quote