View Single Post
Old 12-02-2023, 11:25 AM   #17
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE RGR View Post
Hey Descant and Flyingscot

Enjoyed your responses
I do have a Minkota 30# trolling motor and plan on buying a 50 AH LiFepo4 Lithium battery that should give me about 3.5 hrs run time at speed 2 +or- . The boat weighs about 360# the battery only weighs about 13 so I should be able to cover a lot of distance if I get in trouble
Just a thought
I do not know the Minkota, but my Torqueedo gives huge peace of mind. So if the Monkota can get you home from 2-3 miles away at a reasonable speed, that's great. Even more important is to get to someone else's dock ASAP when you realize you forgot to check the weather and a storm is coming fast.(As I posted above, I don't think these things will actually happen, at least not after the first season, haha)

FLL's basic point about oars as a substitute for a motor on certain boats is also good--much more effective than a paddle.

Other motor uses--

Your direction of launching and landing from/to a dock may vary based on wind direction--you want to be downwind from the dock. Depending on your dock configuration, etc, you may find in convenient to be able to motor from one side to the other

While learning, you may find it intimidating to land in certain conditions. When you're a noob, it's always easier to drop sail and motor in.

Going to and from the boat ramp
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote