View Single Post
Old 11-22-2023, 01:01 PM   #13
Biggd

Thanked 1,075 Times in 680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
I believe "mini splits" are also heat pump technology. A year ago I replaced an old propane furnace with traditional "forced hot air" (heat pump technology) both for ac and heat. It works ok, not 100% impressed in real extremes either hot or cold the system seems to run, run, run.. Also mine (most I believe if not all) do not go below 50 degrees in the winter. For 30+ years the cottage has always been kept at 46(ish) all winter without an issue I ever recall. At the end of the day I guess that's not a huge difference, just sayin... We did finally incorporate a wifi thermostat which is great for adjustments on the road so the place is ready (warm/cool) when we arrive.
My mini split heads won't go below 60 degrees. I'm assuming because they do a good job of maintaining temperature, but they are very slow to heat up a home if set too low.
I turned 2 of my heads down to 60 degrees and the other 3 I turn off one weekend when I went away. The morning I was going home I turned them up to 68 and when I got home that afternoon the house was still cold.
What I've learned, and it's only been a few weeks, is it's best to set it and forget it. If you do change the temperature, you don't want to change it more than a couple degrees. I'm still learning as the temperature outside starts to drop more every day.
So far, I'm very happy with the system but I also kept my oil boiler system as back up. We'll see how long I can go before resorting to turning up the oil heat. We are generally happy if we can keep the indoor temperature at least 65 degrees.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote