View Single Post
Old 11-06-2023, 09:29 PM   #83
mowtorman

Default Too much of a good thing

The lake is similar to a huge toilet bowl that flushes every winter. The pursuit of pleasure at any cost has pushed to the point that the lake is sick and there are no magic fixes to the damage which is increasing exponentially from human overuse and abuse of the resource.

I've already said it here before.... Google St. Albans Bay on Lake Champlain if you want to see what cyanobacteria does to property values and recreational activity. The "me first" mentality as best shown by Braun Bay, Mosquito Bridge and businesses that encourage patrons to use the lake as a toilet negatively impact water quality. The lake will give back what we collectively put into it. Without water quality there is nothing.

The situation has advanced from when I posted what is below 3 years ago. Laugh a minute while we watch the days of Camelot slide past. I saw a crawfish trap in a thrift store this weekend. Who knew they would become museum pieces now because there are fewer crawfish.

No large agency will fix the problem. At least we haven't made it to needing to put huge aerators in the lake which they have in at least one lake in Vermont.

The suburban need for lush green lawns speaks for itself.

I spent many summer days floating and skiing in Blackey's Cove in the 70s. I'm dismayed at how quickly we collectively are killing the lake.

Pave paradise put up a parking lot. Below is from 2020.

It's all about the feces and urine from humans and animals. You may think that I'm full of feces that's fine aren't we all? Haters will hate and I'm not hugging trees I like nature and powersports. The organism I picked up comes from cysts in feces (duck, geese, mink, dog, human) which remain viable in lake water for over 50 days. Common infection in dogs and cats.
All anyone has to do is wipe their mouth or swallow some water and you can intake the cysts. Phosphorus and Nitrogen are in urine and feces. When one person takes that innocent pee in the middle of the lake it matters. When 500 people take that innocent pee in Braun Bay it matters. When people squat in the channel to pee all day (I've seen it) it matters. Cyanobacteria which is toxic and associated with ALS (see Mascoma Lake DHMC) is in Kanasatka this summer. Once introduced it thrives on Nitrogen and Phosphorus. Kanasatka is 9' above Winnipesaukee so where do you think it is headed? If you have good flow, low population and low animal populations you are obviously better off. Point is the lake is taking a pounding and without the opportunity to flush over the winter it wouldn't be much better than Lilly Pond. Learned my lesson the hard way the lake is far from pristine even in a Covid year. More interesting reading google Long Lake in Maine I don' think we're there yet.
mowtorman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mowtorman For This Useful Post: