Thread: Pine sap??
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2023, 03:53 AM   #42
ApS

Wink Turpentine Worked Great!

I took denatured alcohol, xylol, and rubbing alcohol out to the truck's windshield to test on three small patches of pine pitch. (Xylol is what we used to call "paint thinner").

Each worked well, but alcohol cleaned-up best the thin haze left behind. You'll need plenty of rag surface or paper towels. On the paint, I'm going to try out MMO, or Marvel Mystery Oil. (Because I have some handy).

Turpentine is still sold, and is derived from tree sap! Somebody try it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I'd be cutting those trees down in a heart beat or at least trimming them back.
White Pine trees are the first species to re-populate a forest after a wildfire. Their ample presence early-on, before logging and farming, had contributed to Lake Winnipesaukee's original clarity. We owe a lot of gratitude to White Pine trees. Their presence lakeside reduces silt, many structures include their lumber, and their twigs start my woodstove's fires.

If you visit a pristine lake nearby, you'll see a majority of White Pine trees. Reach down into the ground covering of pine needles and pull out a divot. You'll see at least an 6-inch depth before the needles deteriorate into a light gray color. Erosion is hard to find.

My steep dirt driveway won't erode when there's an unbroken covering of pine needles. I remove the cones, as they interfere with grip. In the neighborhood, I've even seen a dump truck's delivery of pine needles!

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote