Thread: Boating Safety
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2023, 11:32 AM   #4
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,971 Times in 1,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
XCR-700..

I attribute most of this to the crazy pandemic buying that occurred. Lots of people with very little knowledge and tons of $$$ decided to make Winni their playground when covid hit. It doesn't help that every marina on the lake rents boats!

There are still a lot of us "old school" types who were brought up on the water and were taught boat handling from a young age. Unfortunately that is not the norm today. Thankfully, the lake is large and despite the overwhelming number of boats and their unskilled drivers out there, accidents are few.

Woodsy
I agree with the number of people who bought, but I think the bigger issue is that those people who bought are no longer as driven to do the right thing.

I don't totally blame them as social media has made being imperfect a sin whereas it once facilitated positive conversation/solutions.

My son and I make it a habit to help people dock whenever we visit Wolfeboro and, without exception, those who CLEARLY are new/inexperienced never ask for help...but are always thankful for it.

On the other hand, I feel like when I started boating in '14 that I could ask for help so much more easily.

Just my experience.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote