Thread: I hate LEDs
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2023, 06:09 PM   #17
Winilyme

Before LEDs, you could buy virtually any incandescent bulb and it would work fine. Over the last year, I've converted our homes in CT and in NH to almost all LED. I learned that in some cases, it takes trial-and-error. For example, recessed high hats didn't always work well with the standard Home Depot brand, flickering constantly in some situations or poor control with our many dimmers. We swapped those out with (I believe a Phillips brand) and the flickering stopped. We have two fixtures that require candelabra bulbs - 24 in total. Found some LED ones on Amazon, installed them only to have most of them fail after about two months. Got a refund and invested in another brand. Haven't lost one bulb after about six months of heavy usage.

The trial-and-error process is a pain but once you work through it, what's not to like? LED's save money and their cost is so much cheaper than just a few years ago. What I like most about them is they give off very little heat. I appreciate that in the summer especially.

Guess my biggest worry is that they won't last as long as they say they will. It's not like I'm tracking that and I'm pretty sure quite a few bulbs I purchased in the past only lasted a few years. I chalk that up to the industry still being in a learning curve.
Winilyme is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winilyme For This Useful Post: