View Single Post
Old 07-20-2023, 03:20 PM   #1
Randardo

Default AMC and Blueberry

So I sent a letter to the AMC, needless to say I was VERY thorough with atch'd documentation and photo's... I've yet to hear a response....

Greetings,
Not sure to whom I should address this, but there’s an ongoing issue regarding the appropriate use of Blueberry (Minister) Island on Lake Winnipesaukee. As a Winnipesaukee boater it my (and others) understanding that Blueberry Island is off limits to any and all based upon the Keep Out, No Trespassing, Violators Will Be Prosecuted signs posted all over the Island.
I certainly understand what these terms mean both fundamentally and legally. I’d go so far as to say most if not all boaters respect these signs, along with No Wake Zones, No Rafting Zones, Idle Speed Zones, etc found elsewhere on the lake. Most boaters pride themselves abiding by and at times enforcing these directives when they see other violating them.
Here’s where Blueberry Island becomes contentious. No Trespassing, Keep Out is very clear language, more so Violators Will Be Prosecuted, except if you’re from Three Mile Island… If you are you have full use of the Island… Boaters don’t see it this way and there’s no clear language, or from my research, legal documented authority for Three Mile Island visitors to be on the island, it’s all hearsay…
It’s sad to see trash on Blueberry Island as we’ve seen in the past, just last week canoes were tied to trees on the Island while others were “stuffed” into the blueberry bushes. Leave no trace, minimal impact, take only pictures, leave only footprints…
My goal is to have the AMC to clearly define Blueberry Island use. Therefore, I called the AMC on 13 Jul 23 and was referred to your director of communications who then referred me to Nicky Pizzo. My conversation with Nicky was very odd, she spoke from a position of authority with zero comprehension or knowledge of the subject matter. She mentioned that she just visited Three Mile Island for the first time but had no knowledge of Blueberry Island. No clarity here.
I called NH Marine Patrol to understand their role if any, the officer began his response with “It is our understanding….” No clarity there.
I called the Moultonborough Assessors Office to see if they had any insight regarding AMC ownership or stewardship of Blueberry Island, there’s no mention of the AMC on any tax record or associated documents regarding Blueberry Island. No clarity there.
There are unofficial discussions on the Forum regarding Blueberry Island. https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=23618
The Three Mile Island FAQ discusses Blueberry Island. https://www.threemileislandcamp.org/faqs
Activities
What types of activities are available at Three Mile Island?
Explore the Lake:
Three Mile is located at the northern end of Lake Winnipesaukee, a 26-mile-long lake with over 240 islands in the heart of New Hampshire's Lake District. There are many hour-to day-long canoe trips around the lake, only limited by the skill and imagination of the canoeist. Popular destinations include Blueberry Island, with a wide, sandy beach and occasional Eagles' nest with eaglets, and Stonedam Island, a natural preserve owned by the Lakes Region Conservation Trust. Three Mile has a small fleet of sunfish, kayaks, and small sailboats available for guests. Fishing and sailing are also popular.
Found the Stonedam Island comment very interesting, clearly states owned by LRCT with a link to provide further information, nothing regarding Blueberry Island however.
I reached out directly to Three Mile Island:
Lindsay Cartmell and Alex Wells
Cc:manager@3mile.org
Mon, Jul 17 at 6:35 PM
Hi Randy!
Thanks so much for reaching out! To the best of my knowledge, the AMC does not own Blueberry Island, but helps steward the island in coordination with the owners of the island.
I hope this helps!
Best,
Alex Wells
TMI Assistant Manager
On Mon, Jul 17, 2023 at 4:15 PM wrote:
Lindsay,
I'm a boater on Winni and I'm trying to figure out the relationship between 3 Mile and Blueberry, does the AMC own it?
Thanks much!
There is one obscure sign on the Island (photo atch’d) “Private Property Appalachian Mountain Club”. Does this mean the AMC owns the property? That would contradict the property record (atch’d).
Signage and language to the effect of…. Would go a long way to clarifying for all.
Private Property, off limits to Winnipesaukee boaters… No Trespassing with the exception of AMC Staff and guests residing at Three Mile Island per cooperation between Blueberry Island Owners and the AMC.
I respectfully ask someone at the AMC take this on and provide clear guidance to all, and post clear signage on the Island.

Regards,
Randy