Thread: Overturned RIB
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2023, 10:30 AM   #13
bumpye

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Woodsy I don't disagree with this, however not all boats are equipped with one. I don't know when it became, (or if it is yet) a requirement for all new boats to have them installed.

I was very surprised when I bought me new to me pontoon last year, and it didn't have one.... it was a 2004..... Surprised because my previous pontoon a 1999 had one, and so did my speed boat which was a 2001.....

End of the day, yes they are a good safety item to use when available. However the bigger problem, is operators ending up in situations where it becomes necessary to begin with. That doesn't mean careless operation necessarily, I never judge a situation until I understand all the facts. Medical emergency rouge wave action etc. etc can all present situations that we never expect.....
Also called a “safety lanyard” or “engine kill switch,” it's designed to shut off a boat's engine if the operator is thrown from the helm. A new federal law that took effect April 1, 2021 requires the devices to be used on all personal watercraft (PWCs) and most powerboats less than 26 feet in length.
bumpye is offline   Reply With Quote