View Single Post
Old 06-04-2023, 08:02 AM   #75
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
The DRA sets the rates... because the State is the taxing authority.
The State acquires that power under NH Constitution Part Second Article 5.

Towns/Cities are only municipal corporations, and can be taken by the State into receivership. We are a Dillon's Rule State.

The town collects those taxes under the authority of the State.

The authority to tax, and the mechanism of collection are two different things.

For instance, the restaurant cannot set/set aside a Meals Tax... but it remands a portion based on the State statute.
Mia culpa, you are correct. The state is the taxing authority in that it is state law that provides for taxation of property. The municipality is acting as an assessor & collector. The DRA does “set” the tax rate but in reality is setting the education tax rate and approving a property tax rate requested by the municipality.

However, when I write my property tax checks to the municipality, I am thinking mostly about the municipal services that are driving the tax rate and my assessment, not the broader state services. I believe most people feel this way. If they didn’t you wouldn’t see some the topics on this site that you do. (As an example we have the current thread on the proposed Moultonborough project). People who pay local property taxes expect something in return, and some say in how their taxes are paid. They expect to be treated equally with other residents.

The beach & ramp issues could be handled other ways then excluding certain residents. By day, by time of day, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote