View Single Post
Old 12-31-2021, 09:00 AM   #9
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,971 Times in 1,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatfly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
So, the booster and deprioritization would be different. A booster would help if signal strength was low whereas deprioritization is when certain users have less, or slower, access to the network.
Think, my understanding of deprioritization is that it is directly related to congestion regardless of network plan levels. Now if one has a higher tier plan, during congestion you would still have a usable signal, just lower.
Prior to the area becoming congested (7-8 AM) or weekend holidays, I had usable signals on the order of -85 to -90 dBm. Afterwards, that would drop to under -100 or become completely non existent. After installing the booster I consistently saw -70 to -85 or so. It took some effort to dial it in because it was a YAGI antenna.
What I can't figure out is why I didn't have any problems prior to 2019. Was 5G construction being started?

https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhone...prioritization

BTW, I also had AT&T then.
As best I can tell from my research and experience, it has nothing to do with signal strength and everything to do with your placement on the network hierarchy. For example, during that day my prepaid Verizon service wasn't working, a friend who had "premium-tiered" service could use his phone normally. It was a tad slower—Spotify had to load for a second before playing—but mine was unusable.

Essentially, during congested times, premium users are treated differently than prepaid, MVNOs, etc. That link I provided goes into detail.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote