View Single Post
Old 05-11-2004, 06:39 AM   #11
madrasahs

Thumbs up Orion gets three stars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion
"Do we really need regulations to keep us from polluting our lake? It is impossible to prevent drippage into the lake. Even the most careful brushing will result in droplets into the lake. I cant believe someone actually sprayed their dock. Pressure treated wood will last forever without any treatment...Nature Wood seems to weather a little better than the older pressure treated wood, but maybe there's not enough elapsed time to tell for sure.
I'm inclined to agree with Orion. Perhaps it's been all that TV advertising for protecting wood decks or sun decks that brought on my anxiety. (Which is disappearing).

My dock is pressure-treated and is over 20 years old -- "unprotected" for 17 of those years. Although it is no longer "green" in color, no plank has ever needed replacement for any reason. A splinter problem forced the "flipping over" of just a few planks over those 20 years. (Nature WoodŽ only appeared in the local lumberyard last year and has no equivalent track record).

In defense of the spraying techniques: If you spray at a 45° angle on a windless day, and your dock or deck has the older 2" planks, the amount lost to the water is surprisingly small -- a lot less than using a roller and less absorbing (and dripfree) than by brush. The edges catch a lot of overspray, and the total amount used is about 50% less than brushing or roller (the worst).

If you must "preserve", use one of those hand-pressurized little (2-gallon?) plastic tank yard-maintenance jobs.

Recyclers advise to dispose of the older cyanide, pressure-treated, wood products in landfills. (OsmoseŽ is one manufacturer of those cyanide-laced planks. It has a big American-flag label on it).
madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote