View Single Post
Old 04-24-2020, 12:06 PM   #23
Major

Thanked 1,014 Times in 422 Posts
Default I'm curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
I'm afraid I can't agree with this. It's a utopian "play nice in the sandbox" wish that doesn't hold up in many times and places. There are some actions of individuals and governments---what they do and what they say---that violate basic principles of human decency, democracy, justice, truthfulness, etc. I think we have a responsibility to call out those behaviors. History is full of examples of when people failed to speak up and atrocities occurred, as in the Holocaust. In the Holocaust, in the Cambodian genocide, in so many other atrocities, there absolutely was a right side and a wrong side, not merely a difference of opinion. My personal belief is that we are now in such a time with respect to issues like COVID-19, the climate crisis, and the distribution of wealth. Who are you going to respect and who are you going to choose to be---the person who says nothing when things are clearly wrong, the person who has a loud, aggressive opinion but is unwilling to get the facts before forming it, or the person who states a firm opinion based on a long search for values and facts? I'd like to be in the third camp.
It's well documented that I think the Chinese coronavirus (Wuhan Bat Flu) is a media- and social media-driven crisis, that so-called (manmade) climate change has no basis in fact or science, or that wealth distribution is a liberal theory designed to take money from successful people and give it to less successful people. I'm curious, am I on the right side or wrong side?

I do agree with RBG, I hope you are not comparing comments on this Forum to historic atrocities!