Thread: Solar?
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2020, 11:46 AM   #35
Biggd

Thanked 1,075 Times in 680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddy View Post
The look of panels on the roof is arguably the one deterrent for me. I've kept my baseboard heat on the past two months just due to winter and not being there full time. I just added the hot tub in late November. I'm getting a decent idea of what winter months look like from a heating standpoint, but I'm still wondering what it will level out to once I pretty much cut the electric heat for the spring/summer months.
I'm not sure how much electricity is used to power the hot tub but before I start running my window AC my monthly electric bill runs around $60 to $80. I'm only there on weekends and when I'm not I only have one light that goes on with a timer and the oil burner runs all year.
I bought my place 5 years ago. It was built in the 80's and initially had electric baseboard heat, I guess that was a thing back then. I was told by the real estate agent that when he went to refinance the mortgage they wouldn't give it to him unless he put in a regular heating system. So he install an oil fired hot water system and removed the electric baseboard heaters.. That was 30 years ago and I replaced the boiler when I bought the place.
Now I'm considering a mini split heat pump for AC and another heat source for when oil spikes.
I'm not trying to turn you off to solar but your place is small enough that I don't think a mini split would cost all that much. I think the savings would be considerable and I think the payback would be fairly quick.
There are rebates for mini splits also but no where near what they are for solar.

Last edited by Biggd; 02-13-2020 at 12:52 PM.
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote