Thread: Solar?
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2020, 10:34 AM   #33
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
No one says you have to get rid of the electric base board heat if you get a mini split, keep them as back up. I got an estimate for a mini split on my 1700 sq ft house of under 8K from The Heat Geek in Belmont.
I heat with oil and wood burning stove but I know the mini split will reduce my oil bill, wood usage, and my electric bill in the summer getting rid of the window A/C's.
But I don't have a hot tub and my electric bill is never over $100 per month.
I do have to admit that I hate the look of solar panels of a roof and I would never pay extra for a house with them on the it, JMO!
I'm of the mind set of trying to reduce consumption first rather than trying to find another way to feed it.
The look of panels on the roof is arguably the one deterrent for me. I've kept my baseboard heat on the past two months just due to winter and not being there full time. I just added the hot tub in late November. I'm getting a decent idea of what winter months look like from a heating standpoint, but I'm still wondering what it will level out to once I pretty much cut the electric heat for the spring/summer months.