View Single Post
Old 02-11-2018, 08:37 AM   #28
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe-man View Post
I would think that the goal of the dock expansion is to increase traffic to downtown Wolfeboro during business hours, particularly on higher traffic days. Overnight accommodations wouldn’t add material revenue to local businesses or the town. The businesses are closed “overnight” and additional daily boaters using those same dock spaces that you would dedicate to overnight use should spend the same money for meals and drinks that Dave R attributes to overnight dockers, and perhaps more. I do understand the point that there are boaters who would utilize and appreciate such accommodations, but I don’t see any material benefit to the Town (and agree that the other nuisance issues raised would have to be considered). We have only had a place in Wolfeboro for a few years now, but from my admittedly limited experience, this would seem like a very hard sell.
The boaters that my plan targets don't typically venture out at night and would never consider leaving their slips at 7 PM to go to dinner because the thought of a night-time passage fills them with dread. I'm also targeting boaters that would not normally go out for breakfast by boat. If you've ever walked around the town docks on a Saturday or Sunday morning, you may have noticed that the majority of boats there for breakfast are not cabin cruisers.

If you'd like to see a nearby place where the city rents dock space overnight with great success, check out the Burlington City Marina in Vermont. I spent two nights there last Summer while in the midst of a 16 day, 450 mile cruise that included the US/Canada border and Saugerties, NY on Hudson River, and it was great. Here's a photo album of the trip:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=129af23b1e

I have no confidence that this idea would ever take hold in Wolfeboro and it's not something I'd ever make use of. It's just something I have a lot of experience with (not on Winni...) and it's awesome. I am only suggesting this for the sake of folks that are stuck going back to the same slip every night; that's such a bummer...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote