View Single Post
Old 03-01-2006, 02:57 PM   #12
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar
First of all this is not my "argument" ... all I did was quote a portion of a USCG document. I never even made a comment on it.

My post was in response to statements claiming that a speed limit would not make NH lakes safer. Here's a direct quote from a USCG document stating that It has been statistically proven that the number of collisions ... are reduced as speed is reduced."

So, are you trying to suggest that this statement is no longer true?
That there is no longer any statistical relationship between speed and the number of collisions?

BTW: The data that you are using isn't even complete, since it only includes accidents involving property damage of greater than $2,000, and/or injuries which did require medical treatment beyond first aid.

There's also a relationship between speed and the damage caused by a collision. Or are NH lakes somehow exempt from the law of phyics?

Since you're looking for an argument: here's mine:
1.) Statistically, slower speeds reduce collisions.
2.) The faster the speed at the time of a collision, the greater the amount of damage (statistically).
3.) A speed limit will reduce speeds.
4.) Therefore a speed limit wiill make NH lakes safer.
Evenstar,

Once again, please refer us to where you got this information, if it does exist you've twisted it, drawn your own incorrect conclusions and once again stated it as fact.

For example, you wrote:
1.) Statistically, slower speeds reduce collisions.

If this were true there would be no or very few traffic accidents on city streets (slower speeds) the majority of accidents would be highways (faster speeds). I could go on but suffice it to say you've got it wrong.