View Single Post
Old 03-01-2006, 11:06 AM   #14
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy
I really think the compromise solution is pretty simple, and it doesn't have to cost ALOT of money.

Pass HB-162 with the "Reasonable & Prudent" standard. I listed my reasons for this above. Most of the other reasons proposed are an expensive logistical nightmare. The "Reasonable & Prudent" standard will not add any additional cost to the bottom line, yet give the MP some latitude when they observe questionable behavior. Behavior that might be completely legal now, but certainly raises an eyebrow or two when it comes to "Reasonable & Prudent"
A lot of people have commented that "Reasonable & Prudent" is unenforcable, mainly because it is subjective. But yet we have reckless driving laws (for autos) and that seems pretty enforcable. Whenever you challenge a traffic violation, it's always your word against the police officer's, why would this by any different?

As for directing fees towards marine use. I pretty sure all the money the state collects goes into the general fund. Then the state congress (and the Governor) decides how to spend it. I don't think congress can pass a law saying that all future congresses will spend the money in a certain way. This was always brought up in the school funding from income tax arguments.